Four years ago, I started a picture-a-day project, and while it lasted less than a month (what shame), I always thought it was an interesting idea. Flash-forward to today, just a few days after the anniversary of my first attempt’s end, and I’m bringing it back. Nowadays, of course, I have a cell phone with me at all times, and it can take some rather nice pictures, so I’ve decided to start anew :). Now, however, I’m presented with a new issue – where to share it all…
This is where you come in, dear reader. There are a number of possible outlets for a project like this:
1. A standalone site, like 365 Project. This is basically the equivalent of what I did before, placing all of my images into an external gallery, but at least this way I’m doing so within a like-minded community. Since it’s an external site, though, it’s sort of isolated from how I might normally share things online.
2. Here. Obviously, I could post my daily shots on good ol’ markmushakian.com, but I feel a daily post would be overkill for those who follow my feed (on WordPress, RSS, or the Facebook page). Maybe it wouldn’t? I’m really not sure, so that’s why this is a Poll :). I could also create a separate page on my site, and put them in a thumbnail gallery there, instead of placing them in my blog every day.
3. Facebook. I know others who post/share their daily pictures on their personal Facebook profile, and though I see it as slightly less intrusive, it still has the same potentially annoying effect as doing it on my site.
4. tumblr. Mr. Mushakian’s Neighborhood is a place where I’m happy to share my photography, but I’m not really sure if it should be a destination for a project like this that could be more random/informal or personal. Perhaps it would force me to spend a little more time taking interesting shots, though, so it’s something to consider.
5. An amalgam. Last time I tried this concept, I just planned on posting my pictures once a week, collecting the 7 pictures into one post and presenting it that way. I really would rather post them daily, though, so this final option would be in an effort to find the middle-ground between consistency and over-sharing. I could put all of my daily pictures on a page of my site, here, and then present my “Pic(k) of the Week” every Saturday in a blog post. Or, perhaps, I could post to 365 Project and do a weekly recap on my site, like I did originally.
You’re the ones who are going to have to live with this choice, too, so let me know what you think. I’m interested in hearing from anyone who’s done this before, as well, with ideas on what you found to be the best experience. Give it a vote below and leave a comment.. I’d appreciate it!